Select an option below to go directly to specific information on this page.
The AgeWell Fresh Start Program at Transylvania Regional Hospital helps adults, especially older adults, with a wide range of mental, emotional and social needs. A psychiatrist supervises the care of our patients in a safe, confidential, comfortable environment. Programs and services include:
- Adult and Geriatric Structured Outpatient Program provides intensive individual, group and family therapies that work on positive solutions, coping skills and symptom management.
- Discharge planning and referral: our social worker coordinates treatment with caregivers and community providers.
- Transportation: we provide transportation for patients to the program.
To improve access to healthcare, TRH oversees a variety of programs and assists patients in tapping into those and other resources, including:
- Community Alternatives Program for Disabled Adults (Cap/DA) helps Medicaid patients find home-care services in order to delay or prevent the need for nursing home care. Call 828-883-5254.
- Medical and Special Needs Transportation (MedDrive) provides transportation for medical and special needs. Call 828-884-3203.
- Rx Assistance assists those who cannot afford their medication apply to pharmaceutical companies for free medications. Grants for emergency situations are available. Call 828-883-5002.
As a primary provider of hospital-based services for the Looking Glass Eye Center of Excellence, TRH maintains state-of-the-art technologies and a skilled staff to support the center’s physicians. We work closely with center staff to provide patients with the high quality care and high quality outcomes the center is known for. For more information on the Looking Glass Eye Center of Excellence go to www.lookingglasseye.com.
These special services permit patients to get the care they need in the comfort of their own homes. We have a dedicated, compassionate and professional staff, made up of registered nurses, certified nursing assistants, therapists and social workers who work together to provide a variety of home health offerings.
Ask your doctor about home health options. Our staff will work with you and your doctor to carry out those orders. We will educate you and your family about your care, perform a broad array of medical procedures in your home, offer physical, speech or occupational therapy as needed, and connect you to community support resources.
- Home Care Services provides patients with assistance at home to recuperate or manage a chronic illness. Certified by the State of North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services (Division of Facility Services), our Home Care Services provides nurses, certified nursing assistants, rehabilitation therapists, social workers, in-home supportive services and more.
- Telemonitoring Systems help patients monitor their health in their own homes. The simple systems track vital data on the patient’s condition. That data is sent automatically to a central computer at Home Care Services.
- Lifeline Emergency Response System helps patients live independently by providing a locket-sized electronic device. Emergency assistance can be summoned at the touch of a button.
- Respite Care is available to families who are caring for loved ones at home. When requested, the service places skilled caregivers in the home for a few hours so family members can enjoy a break.
In-Home Nursing Assistants: Certified through the N.C. Aide registry, CNAs provide a variety of services. Personal care, which includes bathing, dressing, grooming and toileting, and homemaker services such as shopping, errands, light housekeeping, meal preparation and companionship.
Resources for payment include local, state and federal grants, long-term care insurance and private pay. We will assist you in determining what you may qualify for.
- Geriatric Care Management: Services provided by a registered nurse and/or a medical social worker. Our registered nurses are nationally certified as care managers. Services include comprehensive nursing assessment, identification of problem areas, recommendations, communication with physicians, as well as local and long-distance family members. We specialize in dementia care, home safety evaluation and assisted living/nursing home placement.
Hospice provides comprehensive care for the terminally ill with a focus on comfort rather than curative care. A caring team of specially trained professionals and volunteers is dedicated to enabling the patient to live as fully and as comfortably as possible. Caregiver support is offered. Bereavement services are available for families. Services are offered at home, nursing homes or assisted living facilities.
Hospice care gives comfort to terminally ill patients and their families. Support groups and counseling services guide them through the dying and bereavement process.
Transylvania Regional Hospital has a new addition to its state-of-the-art patient care – The Hospitalist Program. We invite you to learn more about it.
Registered technologists provide blood banking, hematology, blood chemistry and microbiology analysis in our fully equipped, on-site medical laboratory.
An in-hospital, skilled nursing facility, this unit provides interim care and rehabilitation. In its relaxed setting, patients are able to make a healthy transition from hospital to home.
- Fitness Program—828-883-5322. For optimal health, we recommend that you follow a wellness and exercise program. The TRH fitness program is available to the public for medically supervised strength and cardiovascular fitness training. Monthly rates and a sliding fee scale based on ability to pay are offered. Physician approval is required.
- Wellness—828-884-2007 A wide range of monthly health screenings are offered, as well as hospital-sponsored support groups, special programs and support for health fairs. Corporate programs are also available.
- Nutritional Counseling—828-883-5402. Our registered dietician works with patients to create a healthy diet that fits their tastes and lifestyle. Special diets for diabetes, nutrition-affected conditions and services for patients with dysphagia or tracheotomy are offered.